14 ways to eat an avocado
Avocados are like kale's more relaxed sibling. They are both healthy and nutritious, but avocados are more and more often a culinary treat thanks to their high fat content (which is a good thing). That's not all this fruit (yes, it's a giant berry) has going for it. Packed with close to 20 vitamins and minerals including immune-boosting Vitamin E and helpful blood pressure-regulating potassium, it's also chuck-full of fiber. Here are over a dozen ways to introduce this creamy green gem into your diet.
1) Slice in half, add a dash of salt, grab a spoon.
2) Skip the usual (mayo, mustard, ketchup) and replace with salted, mashed avocado.
3) Make instant guacamole: mash avocado and add chunky salsa. Scoop up with warm tortillas, celery or chips.
4) Or a smoothie: Combine almond milk, avocado, frozen banana and honey to taste. Blend. Spice it up by adding fresh ginger, lime, frozen berries or melon.
5) Blend well-ripened avocados, melted chocolate, almond milk, cocoa powder, touch of vanilla, sweeten to taste, and chill for an avocado pudding.
6) Skip the cream cheese and use mashed avocado with a squeeze of lemon to accent the creaminess of the smoked salmon.
7) Toss small chunks into chilled pasta, diced pepper, shaved carrot. Finish with your favorite dressing and mix well.
8) Mash a bed of avocado with vinegar dressing and add drained tuna on top.
9) Add a few slices to any patty--beef, salmon, turkey or bean.
10) Mix avocado with black beans, roasted corn, chopped scallions, tomatoes and seeded jalapenos. Toss with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
11) For breakfast, spread on wheat toast, add poached egg and top with diced chives.
12) Saute diced onion, garlic, and add a hint of cumin. Blend avocados, water, lime, salt, cilantro and room temperature onion mix. Top with poached shrimp and cilantro for a cold soup.
13) Blend avocados with oil, lemon, garlic, shallots, salt and pepper or just mix into a favorite already-prepared dressing for a creamy salad dressing.
14) Mash an avocado, then combine with squeeze of lime, sugar water, and freeze for a sorbet.
Leave a Reply.