49 WORST FOODS for YOUR DIET
I have been posting articles that I have found very helpful for keeping us informed about all different aspects of diet and nutrition. I thought this one was helpful for those who are dieting and question what choices to make when eating in or dining out.
Buyer Beware: Just because a food is labeled "healthy," "smart," or "all-
natural" does not mean it's the best choice for someone who is trying to lose weight. For example, honey, vegetable chips, and granola are just a few of the supermarket staples that have tricked dieters into believing they're healthy choices, when in fact, they are as equally loaded with calories, fat, sodium, and glucose as their more vilified counterparts of table sugar, potato chips, and sweet cereals.
In an effort to help dieters keep it straight, obesity researchers at Otago University in New Zealand have identified a list of 49 foods that they say are extremely calorie-dense, but are almost totally lacking in nutritional benefit. Published in the current issue of the New Zealand Medical Journal, researchers say the list was primarily developed to help overweight and obese people easily identify which foods they should avoid. Lead researcher Jane Elmsile says it's important to note that the list represents not only high-calorie foods, but also foods that are almost totally lacking in essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
Here's the list, in alphabetical order:
1. Alcoholic drinks
3. Butter, lard, dripping of similar fat (used as a spread or in baking/cooking etc.)
5. Candy, including lollipops
7. Coconut cream
8. Condensed milk
10. Corn chips
11. Cream (including creme fraiche)
12. Chips (including vegetable chips)
13. Deli meats
15. Energy drinks
16. Flavored milk/milkshakes
17. Fruit canned in syrup
18. Fruit roll-ups
19. Fried foods
20. Fried potatoes/French fries
21. Frozen foods
22. Fruit juice (except tomato juice and unsweetened black currant juice)
24. High fat crackers
26. Hot chocolate, chocolate milk
27. Ice cream
31. Muesli/granola bars
33. Nuts roasted in fat or oil
36. Popcorn with butter or oil
40. Regular powdered drinks
43. Soft drinks
44. Sour cream
45. Sugar (added to anything including drinks, baking, cooking, etc.)
46. Syrups such as golden syrup, treacle, maple syrup
47. Toasted muesli, granola, and any other breakfast cereal with more than 15 grams of
sugar per 100 grams of cereal
48. Whole milk
49 Yogurt with more 10 grams of sugar per 100 grams of yogurt
Wow! After seeing this on paper it really has opened my eyes to how many foods I like that may not be such great choices. Maybe I will think twice about what I'm putting in my mouth!!
Leave a Reply.