If you're over 40 and want to defy each passing year while promoting more youthful hair, nails and skin, the below 7 foods will help you stock up on some of the most powerful anti-aging nutrients around.
1. Olive Oil- Not only do the monounsaturated fats contained in olive oil support healthy arteries and a healthy heart, but olive oil also contains polyphenols, a potent antioxidant that may help prevent a number of age-related diseases. It is recommended to use organic extra virgin olive oil for the most anti-aging bang for your buck.
2. Red Wine- That's right, a glass of wine daily may indeed have a positive effect on your health due to its resveratrol content, a unique anti-oxidant that can help fight against diabetes, heart disease, and age-related memory loss.
3. Beans- The unique proteins in beans thicken and strengthen your hair cells, so you can enjoy a full head of hair as you lengthen your years.
4. Brazil Nuts- Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, a mineral which aids in the production of the anti-oxidant glutathione to help slow down the skin aging process.. Just 2 nuts a day will provide you with enough selenium to reap its anti-aging benefits.
5. Tomatoes- Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which has been shown to support heart health and healthy cholesterol levels as you age. Lycopene also acts as a natural sun block to keep skin youthful and protected from harmful UV rays.
6. Raspberries & Blueberries- These two berries contain important anti-oxidants to help offset inflammation and oxidative stress that contribute to skin aging and wrinkles. Just one serving of either of these berries contains more anti-oxidants that 10 servings of most other fruits and vegetables.
7. Organic Eggs- Despite the bad rap eggs get because of their cholesterol content, which is based on completely erroneous science, eggs are rich in biotin and iron which help to promote healthy, youthful skin and hair.
You may wonder what all this has to do with chiropractic?? Maybe nothing, but on the other hand, why not have a healthy body from the skin to the bones...
IS BURNT FOOD BAD FOR YOU??
Burnt toast has great crunch appeal, but it may raise your risk of cancer, a new study says...
Your toaster is set at the darkest level. You drop the bread slices into it, and after they pop up, slather them with butter or jam. Oh, the delights of crunchy toast!!
Tasty and pleasing, yes, but that toast comes with a risk: cancer.
Eating extra-crispy foods, such as burnt toast, exposes you to a toxic chemical that may be linked to a higher risk of cancer, according to a new study.
The latest research, from Great Britain's Food Standards Agency, measured the levels of a cancer-causing toxin in roasted potatoes, french fries and toast cooked at home.
Acrylamide, the best-known chemical in burnt toast, is used mostly in making paper, dyes and plastics, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS). It's also found in starchy foods during high-temperature cooking, such as frying, roasting and baking. It doesn't come from food packaging or the environment.
The chemical is produced when sugars and certain amino acids--the building blocks of proteins--are heated together at high heat (above about 250 degrees F.). The longer the foods cook at high temperatures, the higher the level of acrylamide, according to the ACS.
The chemical was first discovered in certain foods in 2002. It's not in raw foods. It's mostly found in starchy plant foods.
The Environmental Protection Agency classifies acrylamide as "likely to be carcinogenic (cancerous) to humans," based on studies of lab animals. The National Toxicology Program--a U.S. agency made up of the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration--calls the chemical "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen. "Translated: acrylamide may cause cancer.
How much of the chemical is in toast? The researchers found that the palest, least-cooked piece of toast had 9 micrograms of acrylamide per kg, while the crispiest piece of toast contained 167 micrograms.
These latest study findings follow results from a University of Texas study a few weeks ago, which found that the cancer-causing chemicals in flame-grilled meat may negatively affect the kidneys. The World Health Organization also announced that red meat is linked to cancer.
What should you do:
To avoid a higher cancer risk, cook your potatoes no darker than a "light golden" color, and set your toaster to the lightest color possible before dropping bread into it, the researchers said.
You don't have to avoid the starchy foods tested in the study, but the researchers warn consumers to be aware of how long they're cooked and their link to cancer risk.
Massage Cupping Therapy can be used to move stagnation, relieve inflammation, and drain/move fluids. Cupping is not an irritant to the skin or body. It draws inflammation out, but does not add to it.
Massage cupping is also used to lift and stretch soft tissue, (muscle, fascia/connective, attachments, separate fused tissue layers, i.e. IT band and TFL), release and soften scar tissue and increase hydration of tissues.
Therapeutic effects of massage cupping are lymph drainage, loosen adhesions, release deep tissue issues, move stagnation, relieve inflammation, stimulate blood flow, and sedate the nervous system.
Cupping has been used for asthma and pneumonia. The respiratory system and phlegm respond well to cupping. The effect on the nervous system is sedating and is widely used for high blood pressure, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, chronic headache, neuralgia and rheumatism. Scar tissue softens quickly.
Conditions that respond to massage cupping therapy include: Fibromyalgia, poor circulation, sciatica, insomnia and anxiety, cellulite, Parkinson's disease, scars and adhesions, athletic stress and injury, pre and post operative conditions, bursitis, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, and chronic pain.
Book an appointment with Laura Mooney toi try cupping with your massage.