Starting the day with your morining routine may suit your needs just fine. A bit of yoga, maybe meditation, a shower, a healthy breakfast with orgainc coffee, and then out the door. Does this sound familiar? If so, your morning routine is already exceptional. But we have a mighty elixir that can compliment your regimen wonderfully.
You may have heard that warm lemon water will get those pipes working in the morning and optimize your health. You may even drink warm lemon water with Himalayan salt, or warm lemon water with honey in the morning. However, have you heard of warm water combined with honey, cinnamon, and the most essential ingredient to this morning elixir, turmeric? If you have yet to try this one, you may be missing out on an excellent way to begin your day. All-natural lemon and turmeric are especially powerful ingredients that boast a wealth of beneficial properties.
Lemons offer a tasty, tart flavor with many health-promoting properties. According to a study published in the Chemistry Central Journal (2015), lemons possess a treasure trove of natural metabolites. The study authors state, "Citrus fruits exhibit plentiful boiactivities including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, antimicrobial and anti-allergy activities, as well as cardiovascular effect, neuroprotective effect, hepatoprtective effect, obesity control, etc." Lemons are indeed a healthy ingredient to enjoy at the beginning of the day. However, when you couple lemon with turmeric, your health and wellness benefits increase significantly.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a yellow-orange spice that is part of the ginger faminly. Native to tropical South Asia, turmeric is well know in traditional Asian medicine and cuisine. More recently, its health benefits have been recognized in Western medicine. According to a study published in the journal of Nephropathology (2012), "Turmeric, a neglected Asian traditional drug might reemerge as remedy and/or preventive tool for various illnesses including different types of cancers, obesity, type-2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, CKD (chronic kidney disease) and ESRD (end stage renal disease), which are steadily increasing globally, claiming many lives and tremendous amout of resources worldwide."
One active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, has been the focus of several academic studies.
Curcumin may alleviate inflammation: According to research from the Department of Stomatology at the University of California, San Francisco, curcumin possesses anti-inflammatory properties. The research, published in the journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (2004), found that curcumin, "may exert its anti-inflammatory activity by inhibition of a number of different molecules that play a role in inflammation."
Curcumin's anticancer potential: Curcumin may play a vital role in cancer prevention, according to a study published inb BioMed Research International (2014). Previous research has highlighted curcumin's antioxidant, antibacterial and antitumor properties, according to the study, which concluded, "Curcumin, a vital constituent of the spice turmeric, is an alternative approach in the prevention of cancer."
Therapeutic application of curcumin: According to a review study published in the AAPS journal (2013), "curcumin has shown therapeutic potential against a number of human diseases," including multiple types of cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis, peptic ulcers, psoriasis, H. pylori infection, Alzheimer's disease, acute coronary syndrome, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and respiratory tract infections.
The Turmeric and Lemon Morning Elixir--1 serving--Prep Time- 5 minutes
1/2 of a lemon, squeezed for juice
1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp honey (locally if possible)
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup warm water, and/or coconut milk (the coconut milk adds healthy fats, and helps absorption of turmeric)
Mix the lemon juice, turmeric and honey into your cup of warm water or milk. You will want to stir these ingredients well. Add cinnamon on top and continue to stir your morning elixir as you drink it--this will ensure that the turmeric does not settle at the bottom of your cup.
Turmeric with its main active ingredient, curcumin, may be that one healthy addition to your morning routine you've been looking for, and can help you fight inflammation in your body. Enjoy!!
ESSENTIAL OILS CAN SEEM DAUNTING...
There are so many of them, so many ways to apply them, and so many uses. When you first start out using essential oils it feels like your're going into it blind. However, with a little eduction and a bit of guidance, the amazing benefits of essential oils start to show themselves.
If you've been wondering about the world of essential oils for a while, but don't know which oils to begin with, look no further! Here are the top ten essential oils for beginners. These essential oils are some of the most basic and universal oils, and are easy to use.
Essential oils come from plants and are totally natural and safe to use. They are absorbed within seconds into the skin and travel to the bloodstream to help our cells and organs remain healthy. They can be used to treat a variety of ailments through application topically, internally, or aromatically.
Not all essential oils are created equal!! Many essential oil brands are not safe for internal use because they are not toatally pure. When using essential oils, always find a brand that you can trust to be Totally Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade, such as DoTerra for example. Companies with this rating guarantee their oils are pure, safe to use and highly effective.
10 Oils Recommended for Beginners~~~
* Lavender-- this calming oil is great for your skin and helps heal burns within hours! Just apply 1 drop right on the burn! Also great for many other skin conditions and to calm your mood or promote restful sleep.
* Peppermint--this oil is great to help ease headaches and migraines--just rub a drop on the back of your neck, on your temples and forehead to help relieve the pain. Also great to help soothe your digestive system. Or use it as a great pick me up to stay awake!!
* Lemon--Lemon oil is highly alkaline and is a great oil to drink in your water everyday because it helps to detox your organs! Use 3-5 drops for every 16 ounces. Lemon is also great to help ease a sore throat and combat allergies.
* Melaleuca or Tea Tree Oil--this oil is great for your skin and highly anti-fungal!! Use it as a first aid oil and to treat dry skin, rashes, bug bites and other conditions. 1 drop goes a long way.
* Frankincense--this oil is very universal and can be used for a wide variety of things. Put a couple of drops under the tongue every day to help with thyroid issues, put on your skin daily to combat age spots, wrinkles and acne and rub on the back of your neck to help with emotional disorders like depression or anxiety.
* Oregano--this is the Grandaddy of essential oils!! Use it to help fight off viruses and infections by putting a few drops of it inside and empty veggie capsule and taking it internally every few hours. Oregano helps with bladder infections within hours. This is the real deal!!
* Clary Sage--this is a favorite oil of women since it helps ease symptoms of PMS, menstruation and menopause. It is recommended rubbing this oil right on the abdomen to help period symptoms subside. This is also a great oil for new moms as it helps soothe hormones and stimulate breast milk supply!!
* Lemongrass--this oil is great for joints and ligaments. Rub right on the area of concern every day to help with symptoms. Also a great oil to take internally to help regulate your system.
* Eucalyptus--use this one to help with your respiratory system! This is a great one to use in the diffuser when you are sick or are having a hard time breathing due to congestion or allergies. Also rub on the chest to help open lungs to promote easier breathing.
* Hellichrysum--this healing oil is really good for anything skin related. If you need something to heal, put a drop of this oil on the area a few times a day. It is great at repairing anything that needs fixing.
Please always remember that some oils need to be diluted before using and not all are safe for children. Do your research before using any products you are unsure of.